Hello all,
As I look to my second semester using TBL, I've a couple of questions that I thought I'd like to pose to the list.

The first is related to a problem that I seemed to have with my topic specific assignments (the activities that follow a RAT and challenge the teams to apply the material in it).  The problem was that the teams all seemed to choose the same option from among the various options I'd provided (e.g., choose the individual from among those described that would be most likely to adhere to an exercise program... or choose the athlete from among those described that you would most likely recruit for your sport team).  Of course, when they did that, there was little further discussion of the problem... sort of seemed like they saw the activity as 'done/ problem solved'.  I realize that I may need to tweak my options a bit to somehow make this less likely to happen.  At least I now know which option they all tend to choose.  However, it also occured to me that I could change the assignment... make it more focused on defending an assigned choice instead of making a choice.  I'm not sure though whether it'd still fit the TBL approach or not.  Therein lies the question.

The second is related to my not knowing when and how exactly to fit in the 'bits of lecturing' that I'd still like to do (and that the students still seem to want) after the RATs.  Here's how I did things last semester.  The students entered and sat with their teams.  I usually allowed them to ask one question per team before the IRAT (most often they didn't ask any questions... not sure why... seems like they would).  Then they'd take the IRAT.  When the team members were done with the IRAT, they'd put their scantrons in the folder and turn the folder in to me and begin on the TRAT.  While the teams were working on the TRAT, I'd go downstairs briefly and run the IRATs through the scantrons so that they'd be graded before the teams took them back.  When the teams'd finished the TRAT, they'd post their team score on the board (along with the items they'd missed as a team) and they'd collect their folders and begin working on appeals.  Sometimes I'd interrupt their work on appeals to go over a few things related to the items they missed as teams.  Sometimes I'd wait until they were done with appeals to do it.  Sometimes I'd wait until the next class period (before the topic specific assignments).  None of the above approaches seemed ideal.  When I interrupt their work on appeals, I ended up doing the work they should have been doing.  When I waited until they were done, they seemed bored and ready to leave (... we've done our work for the day...).  Any suggestions/ thoughts/ experiences?

Thanks.  Karla

Karla A. Kubitz, Ph.D., FACSM
Dept. of Kinesiology
Towson University