TEAMLEARNING listserv,

            I'm an Associate Professor in the Department of Pharmacology and
Neuroscience at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (Lubbock
Texas).

            I teach Medical Pharmacology in our School of Medicine to second
year medical students.  I also teach in our graduate school to pharmacology
graduate students. I am the course director for a course entitled
"Integration and Analysis" that is taught to second year medical students.
That course uses Team Learning as its course teaching method.

            I have used Team Learning for medical school teaching (both in
the Medical Pharmacology course and the Integration and Analysis course) as
well as led several faculty development workshops introducing Team Learning.
I have also help instructors who wanted to use Team Learning in medical
education, resident education (GME) and physicians (CME).

            Beyond that, I use Team Learning to 2 of my topics in Medical
Pharmacology (within year 2 curriculum of the medical school). That is I do
not lecture on those two topics. Rather, I write a handout text (about 7
pages for each topic) that the students are responsible for and the learning
session is performed using Team Learning in a 2 hour period. The two topics
are "Principles of the Pharmacology of the Autonomic and Somatic Nervous
Systems" and "Pharmacological Considerations in Treating Geriatric
Patients".  I have used TL for the last 2 years for those sessions. I
believe the students fine the sessions useful. Many students are not used to
attending our Med Pharm sessions and these students do not like "having to
attend" the TL sessions.  I allowed the grade from each session to be
exchanged with the grade of questions on exams over the same material. By
this method those who did not see any real benefit to the sessions were not
required to attend.  Even so attendance at the sessions was about 105 out of
125 students.

            Another place TL is used is within our Introduction to Clinical
Medicine course.  Here I have led a comparison of TL to PBL. In the academic
years of 2000-01 and 2001-02 3 PBL sessions on geriatric medicine were
introduced into this course (year long course). In the academic years of
2002-03 and 2003-04 those 3 sessions were converted to TL sessions and a
comparison has been made on how the two methods were received by faculty and
students.  From the research perspective, we are not yet prepared to comment
on the comparison (i.e. we are still evaluating the data). But I will state
that the TL sessions were successful this year.

From all of these uses of TL I find that TL is a successful learning method.
For us its largest limitation is that as the group size increases, the
easier for any one student to be hidden from the instructors increase. This,
of course, is not unique to TL.  The clearest expression of this limitation
is in our students loving TL with the group size is 30-35, liking it when
the group size is 60-65 and accepting it when the group size is 125-130.
This inverse relationship of the enthusiasm to group size seems to capture
it pretty clearly.

Outside Medical School use of TL, I have also been involved in using TL in
resident and CME training.  In both of those settings, we are finding TL as
a good alternative method. We hope to begin a small study of TL in CME
training in the near future.

Kitty

Kathryn K. McMahon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
3601 4th Street
Lubbock, TX  79430-6592
Phone: 806 743-2425
Fax: 806 743-2744