TO:     Members of the TBL Listserv,

Derek Lane's comments (below; posted to the listserv yesterday) are very insightful.  I am adding them to my own understanding of TBL.

Good News on NEW Reading material
Derek was kind enough to identify the book on TBL and two additional reading items that he has found helpful.  I would like to share some very good news and update the information on the book.

The book called "Team-Based Learning" by Michaelsen, Knight and myself, has just (this week) been released in paperback by Stylus publishers.  THIS is the version that we want to publicize to people.  Compared to the hardcover edition (which was actually published in 2002), the paperback is cheaper ($24.95) and more readable (larger font, at our request).
        Information about the paperback version is available online at: http://www.styluspub.com/frm-catalog.cfm   This is Stylus' catalog list.  Go to: "Higher Education," and then to "Teaching and Learning," and then scroll down alphabetically to "Team-Based Learning."
        This is and will be the key book that attempts to pull together most everything one needs to know to use this teaching strategy successfully.  In addition to some basic chapters about team-based learning, the book has 10 chapters by teachers who successfully used this teaching strategy in a wide variety of situations.  The final chapter summarizes numerous key insights to using this strategy, based on the experiences of these 10 teachers.

Just wanted to the news about the new paperback version with everyone on the listserv!

Dee Fink