Bill and Karla,

I am only a little farther along in this process.  I have been using Team Learning for a year (3rd semester of use) and like anything else, you will get better at it.  I also got these same comments from students my first time "forcing" them to learn "on their own".  I now know that they are going to be concerned about this and the other things you commented on.  I address them directly.  The entire first day of class and then at least once a week thereafter.  I (and colleagues) have designed skill exercises that help students identify their goals for the class and how the choices they make in and out of class effect their goals.  I ask them to discuss their definition of a successful group and verbalize how they will attain success.  Later in the semester we will work on group leadership.  This sounds like it takes the place of "content" in the course but it actually makes the content more accessible by helping them realize that working together is a skill that will be important long after they leave our classroom.  The time it has taken for teams to form from groups has gone from about 6 weeks the first time I used TL to about 2 weeks.  Just my 2 cents.

Scott

Dee Fink wrote:
[log in to unmask]"> Bill & others,

I would like to respond to Bill's specific situation, because it has so many of the common challenges of team-based learning.

The Assignment:  I looked at the material on the website.  Excellent materials, and enough to lay the foundation for some real critical thinking.
        However, using short-answer essay responses (even though you have them write these out on the board simultaneously) is probably part of the reason the students are not responding better.  Too many questions at once, too many moving parts.
        Instead, I would suggest modifying these in the following way: Student Reactions:
I too have often had students make the comments you report.  I have to remind myself that, for the students, this is a new and different ways of learning.  Students are not usually challenged to learn on their own (they should be, in my view, but they aren't).
        That level of change is almost always going to generate some initial discomfort.  The challenge for us as teachers is then to help them through that phase until they have time to adjust and find out the value of this way of learning.
        My reaction: Talk these out with the whole class.  You can be sure that if some students voice these concerns, several other students have them as well.   So I want a chance to share my thinking with the whole class on these concerns.
        Some possible responses: So, to answer your basic questions:  yes, there are some things you can do differently to help the discussion phase of this process, but this is a widespread difficulty of early users.   On the other hand, the initial responses of your students are also very common.  Help them think through what is happening and ask them to give the process a little time, and then see what they think about it.

Dee Fink