I am a new user of TBL this semester, and this is my first post to the list.  My thanks to Larry Michaelson whom I had the opportunity to hear at both the Academy of Business Education meeting Sep 2002, and the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference June 2003.  My thanks also to Dee Fink, who introduced the concept to me at a workshop in January 1995 at Radford University (where I was previously located).

I have read through much of the Team-Based Learning (2002) book.  Initially I didn't think I would want to try TBL until Spring semester, due to the fact that I am teaching four classes this semester, and all of them are either new, or have signficant changes to them.  However, I ended up with my evening section of Business Policy having only seven students in it.  Although I realize that having only one team in a class in not ideal for TBL, the students appeared to have above-average motivation, and I considered that it was too good an opportunity to pass up for a pilot try at TBL.

I consider that the class has gone rather well so far.  The class has had one Readiness Assistance Phase individual/team quiz.  The class average on the individual quiz was only 2% less than my that of the daytime Business Policy class on its first quiz, even though those students had already covered the material.

I think I understand the basic concepts fairly well.  However, I am still unclear as to how I should handle the Assessment phase.  This phase is addressed on page 11 of Team-Based Learning, but only very briefly.

Would someone please provide me some guidance as to what I should do at this stage?  Is a mid-term exam and final exam appropriate?  Or should an exam be tailored only to the particular body of material?  Or should the assessment be something other than an exam?  Or what?

Bob
Robert A. Herring III, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Management
School of Business and Economics