From:
Will Ofstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Will Ofstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 23:39:38 -0800
Erica,

Jim Sibley shared a teaching tip that I now use regularly.  During the
application time, you quietly give one team a "warm call" to let them know
they will soon be in the spotlight and to get ready.  In your case, you
might regularly "warm call" team 4 during the applications until they get
the idea.  You might also ask them to stand while presenting.

For multiple choice questions, I have warned/trained my class I will often
pick the last team that raises their answer card to defend their answer to
the class. (I also often pick the team with the most interesting answer,
such as when 2 cards go up for 1 team).  I noticed this small expectation
keeps the students tuned in and the class moving forward at a quicker pace.
 This came to mind as a solution to teams who "fumble around" during
simultaneous submission.

Will Ofstad, Pharm.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Sciences
Office: (916) 503-1841

California Northstate College of Pharmacy
www.californiacollegeofpharmacy.org
10811 International Drive
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670