From:
"Ross, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ross, Kathy
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:02:02 -0400
I gave an absent team member the GRAT score the first absence only, expecting that the peer evaluation scores would reflect a lowering of the team points for an absent member if the team was not notified with a reason that they accepted. So, for that unit, the consequences were in the team's control. For any additional absences (which didn't happen much), I would count the student's IRAT score as their GRAT score. And, I expected that peer evaluation would also continue affecting the student's team score as well.

I also liked a method I learned from a colleague and adopted. I added a couple extra questions to all make-up tests (RAT and end of unit) that added no points to their score if correct but subtracted points from student scores if missed (regardless of reason missed.) By explaining these "extra questions for make-ups" method at the beginning of the course, it seemed to be accepted by students as fair and gave them a good reason not to miss unless they had to.

Kathy Ross

Kathy Ross, Ph.D.
Instructional Technologist
Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Indiana University Kokomo
2300 South Washington
PO Box 9003
Kokomo, IN 46904-9003