From:
"Sibley, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, Jim
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:00:45 -0700
Hi

Because we deal with big classes....we always do an online survey....followed by instructor team  creation....followed by classroom announcement

We done this on 20 plus courses with no major issues

We do explain our team formation criteria during the team announcements

When a small number of students complain that they want to form their own teams.....I point them at the Brickell team formation article...say that if they can provide me with a page long rebuttal to article advocating and SUPPORTING with evidence student created them are more effective...then I tell them I will allow them to self-select...no student has ever taken me up on it

Jim Sibley

Sorry for brief message -sent from my iPad