From:
Kristin Croyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kristin Croyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:33:27 -0500
OK, this is only slightly related, but I would like to share what I did with
a team over the summer who had excluded a high performing member.  Sorry for
the length.

This was in a 90 minute daily class that ran for five weeks.  It is an
advanced undergraduate course in psychology.  The team had 7 people,
including 6 who easily found many things in common and worked together well
and a seventh who was slightly older, interpersonally a little rough around
the edges (assertive to the point of aggressiveness, but also warm), and
clearly had a lot of different life experiences than his teammates (had
already taken the class and had to withdraw during the semester due to
stress from a divorce, some vague history with arrest and jail/prison).  He
also had a habit of leaving class for long periods.  For example, he would
step out from a team activity to "go to the restroom" and not come back for
30 minutes.  His team decided near the beginning of the semester that he was
a lazy trouble-maker and by the middle of the semester actively excluded him
from team activities, literally ignoring his input.  He became increasingly
frustrated and came to me to complain.  He was extremely angry and hurt when
he visited me and was not willing to reach out to his team since they had
already rejected him, so I didn't ask him to.  He had already been to my
office many times because he was studying hard and brought questions on the
reading regularly to me during office hours.

The day after he complained, we did mid-semester peer evaluations.  I use
these so students have a sense of what their final peer evaluations will be
if nothing changes.  It has a numerical component that does not count in the
final grade and a formative component.  He was hammered on his and I had to
raise his points (without telling his team) because I thought it would be
too discouraging for him and that they had not evaluated him fairly.

This is what I did.  First, I instructed him to never leave class again
except for an emergency because of the negative way his team perceived it.
He found this to be unfair, but agreed, because other team members would
also step out (their team was very efficient in its use of time and often
finished before other teams, so they had a little time to kill).  Usually I
would leave that up to the team, but they had never told him openly.
Second, I actively intervened in their team chair arrangement every day for
a week (until it became a habit for them) to make sure that his chair was
placed closely in to the circle and he couldn't be physically excluded.
Third, I moved the teams around so their team would sit at the front of the
class and I could more closely monitor them.  Fourth, as I circulated around
the teams to answer questions and monitor the activities, I would expressly
ask him for his thoughts on the activity and publicly reinforce to his team
whatever he had gotten right.  Fifth, for the next major activity, I
assigned members in each team a few specific roles (scribe, presenter, etc.)
and made sure he had a role that would ensure integration into the activity.
Sixth, I made positive comments to him while he was sitting with his team
about his thorough studying and the questions he would bring to office
hours.  Within 5 class days, there were no problems with his integration
into the team.  By the end of the semester, he was evaluated above average
on his peer evals and his most outspoken teammate told me she "had been
wrong about him."

And yes, I use IFATs.

Hope that is helpful to someone.  I both didn't leave it to the team to
resolve, but at the same time did not address the issue directly with the
team because it had already become so shaming and painful for him, but
instead addressed it indirectly through team management.

Kristin Croyle
Associate Professor, Psychology
University of Texas - Pan American
Edinburg, Texas