From:
Julia Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:24:01 -0800
I am currently teaching a class of FOUR... one team of FOUR... which obvioulsy
is much smaller than you would like for a team.  I haven't run into the
problems that David describes, but it is perhaps that I am still a novice in
the pedagogical technique so haven't implemented al the pieces such as posting
iRAT/gRATs.  I teach Athletic Training courses.  My teamwork tends to be very
novel tasks (build a knee joint out of scraps of wood, rubber, sponge, bungi
cords) and thus almost forces them to work together because it is nothing like
they have every experienced in their college careers.  I have found that the
more novel the task the more they must create that team bond to work through
the problem.  Sadly... I am not able to do the team problems that require
working through and answer and comparing them to other teams to determine how
they have done, processed, etc.  Because I am still within the semester I am
looking forward to the end and a chance to look back more objectively on what
worked and what didn't work in the class based on the size.  I have had the
challenge of having a team member absent due to a death in the family and
missing 1 week of group work.  How do others have thme make that kind of time
with their group up?

Juli Dunn
Assoc. Professor in Sport Studies
Whitman College
Walla Walla, WA

This mail sent through Whitman College Webmail 3.1