From:
Richard Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2018 06:22:39 -0700
Hi All,
We've just implemented TBL in a 200+ student Introductory Biology Class.

We have 27 groups with 7-8 students each (we realize the number is large, but it's what we can handle...only two instructors).

When we started, for group activities, we'd make one copy of the activity handout per group.  Groups quickly began complaining that there was only one copy, as they were finding it difficult to hear one person reading out the questions/instructions.

We decided to give them two copies, and the predictable happened. Each group of 7-8 split into two subgroups of 3-4 each. We circulate and try to encourage the subgroups to discuss the activities together, but it's hit or miss.

Now, some groups want one handout PER PERSON! They complain that they can't "see" the figures on activites (they are projected on a screen as well), or that they somehow need to read each question themselves. Based on what we saw with two handouts/group, this seems unwise.

A couple of questions:
1) Is there a recommended number of activity handouts per group? Does this change with larger groups?
2) Is there evidence to support a certain number of handouts per group? It would be nice to fall back on a study as a means of convincing students that fewer handouts are better (if indeed they are?)

All help is appreciated...we're new to this!

Take care,

Richard Moore
Miami University