From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 16:52:02 -0500
On the concern over student evals, why not document increases in student
learning and emphasize that? One way is by comparing answers on final exams
over the years (this assumes that you don't pass back finals). This would
also make the point that, after all, we should be measuring learning 1st
and student evals are secondary. This might get some good discussion going
in your department. I'm planning on doing that this semester.

     - Bill

Gary said:

>    Erica, you note:
>
>    "I feel like I have a hard time convincing my students about the benefits
>    of TBL. Half are on board and the other half make it hard. I'm discouraged
>    at times, my midterm evals had comments like "Stop the team stuff" and
>    "quit
>    teaching" in them. I feel the norm in my department is heavy based on
>    lecture and students are not expected to read (or at least are not held
>    accountable for reading). If you have any ideas for readings, activities,
>    etc that might help me out that would be great."
>
>    First, don't feel alone ... my class evaluations dropped substantially,
>    albeit student learning has increased, upon introduction of TBL for the
>    first time last spring in an undergraduate (natural resource,
>    environmental and ecological economics) class, 200-level (although lots of
>    juniors and seniors in the class, about 1/2 of them actually) of
>    45-students.  To put this in context, I have been teaching for over
>    2-decades!... and have never had lower evaluations, but, also, I have
>    never had students learn more. More specifically, I have never had such
>    extremely negative statements about my teaching as I received with the
>    introduction of TBL last spring, along the same lines of "quit teaching",
>    "didn't learn anything", "total waste of my time", etc... from a small
>    minority.  There were also extremely complementary comments, however...and
>    we should not ignore those... I am sure you also have them... like the
>    best course they had ever taken!  Yes: about 1/2 love it, 1/2 hate it...
>    the latter making things hard, like you point out.
>
>    Second, we are trying it again this spring, with 58-students, 9-teams.
>    This time we followed the suggestions in the paper by Smith(2008;
>    attached), with better results so far, albeit one student wrote on the
>    first Exam.. "you didn't teach us this"  .. for a question in which they
>    had to really understand the construct in order to apply it... and he
>    didn't even try to answer it ...  even though they had worked on the
>    identical problem in a Team activity, and, we had lectured to it, as well
>    as used  both the iRAT and tRAT to work on the basic constructs needed.
>     Actually, what he is saying, it seems likely to me:  "you didn't tell me
>    what to memorize and put back on the test."  I honestly do not know what
>    to do with students like this...  We (the TA and I) even offered to meet
>    with him, try to help... which was declined... we, instead,  are "not
>    teaching" ... it is all our doing, not his. Yet, I am also hoping that our
>    use of the Response clickers this spring is helping, overall, and that we
>    have reduced the number of these students having issues like this. With
>    the clickers, we are much better able to react quickly, have discussion on
>    issues/problem areas in the material right away, and they can see class
>    results on the screen...  etc.  Hopefully the extra, better informed
> [...]

         | Bill Goffe                 [log in to unmask]          |
         | Department of Economics    voice: (315) 312-3444     |
         | SUNY Oswego                fax:   (315) 312-5444     |
         | 416 Mahar Hall             http://cook.rfe.org       |
         | Oswego, NY  13126                                    |
| "Delivery not included. Buyer must pick-up from current location and      |
| incur collection costs. Return not accepted."                             |
|  -- The details on an eBay auction for a 580 ton "Eurotunnel Tunnel       |
|     Boring Machine" used to dig the Eurotunnel. eBay, 4/2004.             |