From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:42:14 -0400
Very impressive -- I'll be giving it to my students.

I really like the parts about "recite" as there is a lot of recent
evidence that recall is a very potent strategy in building memory. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testing_effect (the bibliography is quite
good -- almost all are leading cognitive scientists). On study methods
in general, a very interesting literature survey is "Improving Students’
Learning With Effective Learning Techniques Promising Directions From
Cognitive and Educational Psychology," Dunlosky et al.,
http://psi.sagepub.com/content/14/1/4.abstract . As they call it,
"practice testing" and spreading studying out over time top the list of
10 study methods they review. Common methods, like highlighting and rereading,
are much less effective.

    - Bill

--
Bill Goffe