From:
"J.Aires de Sousa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.Aires de Sousa
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:48:39 +0000
Dear TBLers

I'm using TBL in a large course of General Chemistry (1st year
undergraduate students of Engineering) with 450 students in classes of
ca 80 students.

I have a problem with the peer evaluation in one team, and I'd like to
get suggestions before I make a decision.

This is a team of 6 members in which one of the students contributed
mostly(apparently to me). This conclusion is confirmed by the marks
obtained in the final exams (she scored 4 points above the other team
members in a 0-20 scale). Peer evaluation was performed before the
scores of the final exams were known. Students distributed the 100
points by the other team members and submitted the evaluations directly
to me. Only the final sums were released. Probably due to conflicts
within the team, this student ended up with 98 points and two of the
others got above 110. She is complaining the evaluation was clearly
unfair, and I'm inclined to agree.

I'm considering several options:

- Do nothing
- Ask the team if everyone feels comfortable with the final sums and, if
not, repeat the evaluation
- Repeat the evaluation, this time openly

I'm sure this should happen frequently in TBL. I had a similar problem
before, but more evident, with a rather small team (4 members). At that
time I "vetoed" the result and repeated the evaluation.

It would be great if someone could help.

Thanks,
Joao

--
Joao Aires de Sousa
Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia,