From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:20:32 -0500
Ah -- very interesting. I wasn't aware of much of this background. At the
end, you ask:

> So, the question becomes, does TBL allow teachers to scaffold students and
> teams toward self-direction in learning or must the faculty keep constant
> vigilance regardless of the context?

While I don't have data, I'd suggest a tentative "yes." Several weeks into
the semester, when they've experienced TBL and have bought into it, I'll
sometimes leave the classroom for a minute or two to get a sip of water or
to get something I left in my office. On my return the room is still abuzz
with activity and hardly a students even acknowledges my return as they're
busy working with their team. I love how TBL sets up incentives for this to
come about.

I don't know if this extends beyond my class, but I'd like to think so. It
would be really interesting and indeed useful to know.

   - Bill

--
Bill Goffe
Department of Economics