From:
"Restad, Penne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Restad, Penne
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:29:21 +0000
Hello All,

Karla, I've been enjoying your comments for some time now, and today you landed exactly in my field--the article on teaching American History.  My TBL class (you can see a photo of my student on the intro to TBL video on the homepage) has 5 (reasonably) formal lectures during the term and 5 RATS. The remaining meetings (about 15) are devoted to working with primary documents in a TBL format.  The leading point of the class is to practice "thinking like a historian," a process that frames and gives meaning to (that is, it doesn't replace!)  the  "names, dates, and places."    I've written about this in the new book on using TBL  in the social sciences and humanities edited by Michael Sweet and Larry Michaelsen.  I would love to hear from others historians using TBL, especially as I am writing a new course on the "first half" of American history.

Penne Restad
Distinguished Senior Lecturer
Department of History
University of Texas