From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 12:19:20 -0500
Michael,

Ever since I ran across his work several years ago, I have believed that the primary overlap is their emphasis on what I think is the most single important aspect of implementing TBL--asking really good application questions. Further, their questions are nearly a perfect fit with our 4-S prescriptions (i.e., Significant, Same, Specific choice and Simultaneous report). In addition, there is an additional overlap in that they rely, to some extent on peer interaction.

On the other hand, TBL includes a whole lot more than their approach.  For example, they don't even discuss anything parallel to the many standard TBL practices that promote team development and individual and team accountability. For example, a standard practice across every application that I've read about is having students think about a question (to their credit a REALLY good one), talk with those who happen to be sitting nearby and simultaneously report using clickers.  Thus, it's groups (not teams) and, because the simultaneous report is normally a distribution of responses of the class, because of the anonymity, the outliers, even if they have made the correct choice, are not accountable for defending their position.  Further, because the groups are temporary, there is really no peer accountability either. It's a whole lot easier to change groups than to confront a bully but, allowing that option (which is the case with temporary groups) means that the bullies won't get feedback they need and the "group-jumpers" won't develop the skill of dealing with bullies.

I'm sure there's more but, I'll have to think about it.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> "Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]> 04/04/11 10:21 AM >>>
Friends,

This week I will be meeting with Eric Mazur's group at Harvard to talk about TBL and its relationship to Peer-Instruction, which is what he uses and is famous for.

For those of you unfamiliar with Mazur's work, he has been a ground-breaking leader in Physics education at Harvard for 15+ years.  Getting TBL on his radar is a huge thing for me, personally.

QUESTION:  For those of you familiar with Mazur's work and peer instruction, what do you see as crucial overlaps and contrasts between TBL and PI?

I'd like to do my best to represent the TBL community in this discussion. . . .

-M

Michael Sweet, Ph.D.
Director of Instructional Development, Center for Teaching and Learning
The University of Texas at Austin
(512) 232-1775  |  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  |  http://ctl.utexas.edu