From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:15:45 -0400
Gaming the system rarely occurs in my undergraduate classes.  Students are
usually quite critical of those who don't pull their weight in team
activities.  In teams that do work well with everyone contributing nearly
equally, they may rate one person 9, one 11, and the others 10, but it is
very often the same person getting 9 from everyone and the same person who
gets 11 from everyone.

I give a "practice" peer evaluation mid-semester but only the final
evaluation counts toward the grade.  Sometimes a team is clearly gaming
the system on the  mid-semester evaluation.  For the final evaluation, I
make them take it home, or even do it via email, so no one in the group
feels pressured to do it in front of others.  However, if they really all
contribute equally and all feel that way, I don't care if they all end up
with a 10 average.

Maybe there is less of a problem with undergrads giving "fair" evaluations
because there is so much more variability in effort and ability than there
probably is among second year med students.  But I would agree that
constructive, thoughtful comments are not common, but at least requiring
comments makes them think about it, at least a little.

Molly Espey
Applied Economics and Statistics
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634