From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:29:39 -0500
Tim,

A couple of other possibilities.  I'd recommend the following schedule:
Monday--introduce TBL
Wednesday--Form groups (of 6 & 7) and give a demonstration/practice RAT over your syllabus.
Friday--add to your smaller groups if needed (from you adds) and set the grade weights.
Monday--add to your smaller groups if needed (from you adds); give RAT #1.

I'd announce two things on Friday:
--if you decide to drop, send me an e-mail
--if you know someone who is likely to add, let them know about RAT #1.
If students show up for the first time on Monday unprepared for the RAT, I explain that the class is off and running and, if they decide to stay, they will have to take the RAT and the "lumps", however small, that are likely  to come from not having prepared.

Good luck and keep us posted

Larry
-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Tim Connors <[log in to unmask]> 07/05/10 12:17 PM >>>
I have been baby-stepping my way into TBL over the past year but now
feel like "going all the way."  I could use some advice/examples on
how to implement a couple of things I have not yet done.  The class I
will be doing this with is an upper division undergraduate course in
theatre history that is required of all theatre majors and minors
(virtually the entire class will be majors or minors).

The first of these is grading.  Up to now I have pre-determined the
grading system:  70% individual; 20% team; 10% team maintenance.  I
want to allow the class to determine the grading this Fall.  Would it
be out of line for me to establish a minimum % for each of these
(e.g., minimum of 50% individual, 10% team, and 5% team maintenance)?
If I don't establish minimums, what kind(s) of issues might I
anticipate?  How are stalemates resolved?

Also, drop/add for the class won't be over until after the third class
session (course is MWF, 50-minutes per class).  It seems unfair to
wait until the 4th class session (after the deadline to drop) to
determine the grading system.  And I have an "intro to teams" activity
I want to use during the first week.  Should I make temporary teams
for grading and the first activity, or make permanent teams and hope
that a bunch of people from one team don't drop?

And, lastly, does anyone have a student handout and/or intro to TBL
presentation they use in your first class session that you would be
willing to share?

Thanks very much.

Tim

Timothy D. Connors