From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:43:17 -0500
Lisa:
Your situation really raises two issues-
1)How to deal with the immediate problem of the one student inhibiting the other student from talking, and

2)How to prevent a problem like this in the future.

I find the immediate problem a little more vexing, because one hates to interfere with team process by talking with either the critical student or the student with hurt feelings. Getting the whole team together to talk about team process is a thought, but again it is outside of normal class processes--unless you institute it now for the whole class- and that is an option. It is not a guarantee. But it might do something.

For the future:
The reason I believe that Larry mentions using the if/at is because the immediate feedback will prompt the team to pull the student with hurt feelings to participate--they will want him to share his knowledge and will not allow him to be quiet. Larry- is that what you are thinking?

I would suggest for future iterations to cut back on graded peer feedback early in the semester and just have formative evaluation--followed by small group time to process the feedback. I find that my students will be very open and even more critical with their feedback (I use the fink method) with the formative feedback but since its not graded it doesn't tend to inhibit group cohesion.

Ruth

Ruth Levine
Professor of Psychiatry
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston