From:
Brent MacLaine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent MacLaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:15:45 -0400
Hello Jennifer:

Among others, the questions that interest me are these:

1.  Which do you prefer?  Small group discussion or lecture.
2.  This course has had too much / too little lecture / discussion . .
. or about the right balance?

I have found that, when students are asked to reflect on the mix
directly in this way, they overwhelmingly recognize the value of TBL.
Of course, there is always a small percentage (very small, in my
experience) who prefer one or the other, but if you share the results
with your students, then even the lecture-lovers or the group-cheerers
see the wisdom of TBL strategies.

I realize that these questions may be more appropriate for a mid-term
formative evaluation than for a final summative one, but I thought that
you might be interested.

Brent

Brent MacLaine, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of English
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown  PE  Canada
C1A  4P3
Office: 902-566-0955
Fax: 902-566-0363
>>> "Emke, Amanda R." <[log in to unmask]> 21/11/2010 1:52 PM >>>
No, but I would be interested in this type of evaluation question as
well. Also, I would appreciate evaluation questions given to medical
students at the end of their clerkship to re-evaluate perceptions of
the
usefulness of their pre-clinical course.

Amanda R. Emke, MD
Course Master, Pre-Clinical Pediatrics
St. Louis, MO 63110