From:
Gary Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:17:00 -0800
Perhaps the explicit guidelines for ratings could be in the form of a
rubric. Has anyone developed a rubric specifically for TBL peer
evaluations?

Regards,
Gary

Gary A. Hunt
Department of Natural Resource Sciences
Thompson Rivers University
900 McGill Road
Kamloops, BC  V2C 5N3
Phone: 250-828-5461
Fax:  250-828-5450

On Feb 23, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Smith, David W wrote: > > I rarely use peer evaluations any more, so take what I offer with a > grain of salt. >   > My scoring essentially did what Jim Sibley suggests. >   > I put limits on the number of peers who could be rated in the top > category.  After all, if everyone is contributing reasonably well, > there isn't much room for several people to be outstanding.  In a good > group you expect similar contributions and similar ratings over the > long haul. >   > Some of my groups figured out they could rotate the top category among > all the members over the semester.  A group that can figure out how to > work in harmony on their peer evaluations and stick to their agreement > all semester has done something well. If their reports or assignments > are working out well, then they are achieving the substantive goals of > the group. >   > Try giving some explicit guidelines for ratings, eg, "did not > participate in the discussion."  If you do, then everyone in the group > will actually speak up, or their group will ask them to.  Otherwise, > they can't legitimately hold to their agreement to fix the ratings. > This will legitimately give everyone in the group a similar rating. >   > Watch carefully for someone who is doing noticeably worse than their > group on exams and other evaluations.  They might be letting the rest > of the group do all the work.  You can suggest privately that they are > passing up an opportunity to learn by not contributing in a meaningful > way.  Correspondingly, someone who has much better individual RAT > scores than the group score is either not contributing or is not being > listened to by the group and the group may need to be told. >   > Finally, there shouldn't be much point in worrying about it a great > deal.  Let them have the points and move on. Use this information as a > diagnostic, of group effectiveness.  If a group can conspire to game > your system, then they are working well on something. >   > Regards, >   > David Smith >   > David W. Smith, Ph.D., M.P.H., C.Stat. > Associate Professor, Biostatistics > Fellow, Institute for Health Policy > The University of Texas School of Public Health > San Antonio Branch Campus > voice: (210) 562-5512 > e-mail: [log in to unmask]