From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 18:43:34 -0500
The three week time frame isn't a problem for TBL--it's more of an advantage.  Assuming that you have a normal set of contact hours, can you imagine 4+hours a day of lectures from the same instructor?  I've regularly taught time-compressed courses and the only issue is getting the students informed about having to read before the class starts. As long as students know what you expect, the Readiness Assurance Process does its thing and you can immerse students in applications.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> "Carey Nevin, Judy A" <[log in to unmask]> 10/24/10 11:46 AM >>>
I'm a librarian and I'm really intrigued by TBL. I'm wondering if there are any other librarians on the list; I'd love to hear from you if there are.

OR, for you non-librarians, have you done any TBL with your librarians?

Then, on a different note...our school is introducing a 3-week winter semester next year, and I'm considering offering a 1-credit library research class (we've had requests from faculty who think their students aren't getting the idea of scholarly research)...is a 3-week session long enough to use teams? Will students bond with their teams in such a short time, do you think?

Thanks!

--Judy