From:
"Ross, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ross, Kathy
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:48:54 -0500
Lane,

In answer to your question about a forum site for TBL, this discussion list is the one.  On the sign up page for this discussion list http://lists.ou.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=teamlearning-l&A=1 on the left navigation bar, you will find a link to List Archives. That is a good spot to review what others have posted. There is a wealth of information and ideas there. Although the archives are listed chronologically, there is a search function if you want to find specific topics.

In answer to your other question about the kinds of questions appropriate for RATs, I think it helps to work backwards on this. Consider
- your objectives for your course
- your assessments to gather the evidence that students have learned the concepts and ways to apply them
- the kinds of application practice they will need to do in their teams in order to be ready to show you that ending evidence

Once you know the kinds of applications they will be doing together in class, consider what from their reading is going to prepare them to work on the applications. What concepts will they need to draw on? How much detail will they need to know in order to get started? The RAT, as a part of the Readiness Assurance Process (RAP), focuses them on making sure they are starting with some basic foundational knowledge that they will then practice applying. It's not the kind of detail you expect them to know at the end of the unit (like U of BC's "index" content.) It's sometimes the terms that allow them to communicate about the applications more precisely. It's sometimes the general principles that they may need to apply as teams for their specific cases--those things at the "TOC" level. What 10 to 20 questions will prepare them to know enough to make a good start on their application exercises? Once they solidify those through their individual and group RATs and Appeals Process, they will assure their readiness to proceed to applications.

I don't think you need to have your application exercises completely crafted before you can write your RATs, but the RATs will work best if you have in mind some kinds of learning applications that will provide your students their practice for the unit. RATS prepare them for the team application exercises which prepare them for the end-of-unit assessments.

Hope that helps. Welcome to TBL!

Kathy

Kathy Ross, Ph.D.
Instructional Technologist
Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Indiana University Kokomo
2300 S. Washington St.
PO Box 9003
Kokomo, IN 46904-9003