From:
Daniel E Bontempo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:20:17 -0500
Hello -

I just spent a semester as TA in a class where we tried to implement
team learning ideas. We had 6 RAT tests with both individual and group
administration. We had group appeals ... etc. We had not originally planned
peer evaluation, but a number of students raised the issue.

I allowed group members to confidentially rate each other on the
minus-check-plus scale. I asked that at least one rating differ from the
others. I found it very hard to standardize from group to group. Some
students gave everyone a plus with one check. Other students were more
divided on checks and plusses. Students in one group had mostly checks with
one minus. I ended up taking the mode and looking to see who was above and
below the mode. I wanted to capture relative differences after factoring
out the enthusiasm level of individual raters.

In a recent web search, I did not see too much advice on how to get
good peer-evaluation scores. I have seen various forms/instructions (to
students) on web sites. Some had more categories (e.g., preparation,
knowledge, leadership, spirit ... )

I would love to hear how others have done this - particularly with
regard to salient dimensions and standardized scoring.

Thanks

Daniel E Bontempo, M.A.
Dept. of Human Development and Family Studies
The Pennsylvania State University
135 E. Nittany Ave., Suite 405
State College, PA 16801-5363
P: (814) 865-3549