From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:04:12 -0500
Jim & Dan,

I've been using team exams for longer than I've been using TBL (40+years for team exams/30+ years for TBL). They have always been focused on applications. (In fact, I've never taught a class in which I haven't given at least one team exam that used a full-length feature film or a novel as a "case".) In my judgment, a well-designed team exam and 4-S applications are nearly the same thing. The only significant difference is that I'll ask students to provide one or more bullet points to support their specific choice or I sometimes ask, "What are your number 1 #2 choices and what is the most compelling reason for rejecting your #2 choice. The key is making sure the form of the answer is simple (i.e., a specific choice supported by the key or the top FEW reasons/facts/pieces of evidence, etc.). Don't force the teams to produce an essay. If you do then their effort will go into wordsmithing instead of DECIDING.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Daniel Williams <[log in to unmask]> 09/22/11 10:51 AM >>>
Jim:

I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute, but I wanted to express my
interest in the topic.  I tried it in my small introductory biology course
(4 teams) using assignments attached to movies and came away unhappy.  I am
positive it was due to my assignment design however and not any fault of the
technique. I would love to see more examples of people working with movies
as team exams.
Will you be posting a summary or a few pictures from your workshop on the
TBL site?

Dan

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am putting together a workshop with a couple of faculty at UBC that do
> team-based examinations (in very different ways)
>
> Who else out there has done team-based examinations?
>
> We would love to gather more ideas.
>
> Jim

Daniel Williams
Department of Biology