From:
Lindsay Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lindsay Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:02:20 -0600
I'm interested in your post as I just read the narrative feedback from the
52 students (52%) in my first year Medicine Musculoskeletal course after
my first foray into TBL over the past 4 weeks.  My impression (and that of
several of my colleagues who team-taught the group) was that the students
were much more prepared than previous years and that we were able to
develop topics well with in class team work.  The overall impression of
the teachers was that this was a class who asked insightful questions and
was enjoying the material and appreciating it at a higher level than
previous years.  However clearly a proportion of the class feels some
combination of indignation, frustration and general distaste for the
process.  As for "hate the teacher" in my case it's "hate the
coordinator".  Fortunately, my UG dean is very supportive, and petition or
no, our school is looking for a way to reduce traditional lectures whether
the students realize it or not.  Experienced TBL teachers: is this
common?  any good ideas on how to handle this sort of experience?

Lindsay Davidson
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario