From:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:51:41 -0600
I'm not sure I agree with the assertion that this rating was "unfair".
Yes she may have scored higher than the others but what was her
interaction with the other team members like? How well did she listen
share discuss and compromise?  Also her rating is just 2 pints below
average (assuming that the five member distributed the points evenly
she would have gotten 100 points). Just because someone else was rated
higher doesn't necessarily mean that some less than above board was
going on.

I personally dropped the point distribution for a weighted rubric
model.  Students award 0,1,2 or 3 points on 9 different items (how
well he/she did on the iRAT, how well did s/he prepare by doing the
readings, how well did s/he listen to others, etc).  Then they can
give one team member a 1, 2, or 3 point bonus if they wish. Finally
the submitter is graded on how helpful their answers are to he
questions what was the most valuable contribution this member made;
and what is one things this member could do to improve?

This goes a long way to having the students make thoughtful ratings
and gives me and explanation when a student is concerned about their
rating.

Good luck with your situation.

--
Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology

"Arthur: It would have to be a 747.
Cobb: Why is that?
Arthur: Because on a 747 the pilot is up top, and the first
class cabin is in the nose, so no one would walk through. But you'd have
to buy out the entire cabin. And the first class flight attendant.

Saito: I bought the airline.....It seemed neater."

From the motion picture Inception
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAm_Cp3OKik