From:
"Restad, Penne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Restad, Penne
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:53:09 +0000
Hi Jennifer and All,

I discovered that the same people on a team tended to take on the same roles and so began to play with upsetting their order.  Among other strategies, I've started a session by telling teams that the person with the longest middle name, or the birthday closest to July 4, or the brightest shirt color will be the scribe, or spokesperson, or "scratcher" (for tRats), or loyal opposition.  One thing this does is to get the students more familiar with one another, which seems to help in cementing their team into a working unit, and removes some of the goal-tending.  I also assign each person on the team a number (just alphabetically, 1-7) at the beginning of the term so that I can ask for, say,  number 5's to respond to a question or to report.

best,
Penne

P. Restad
Department of History