From:
"Kubitz, Karla" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kubitz, Karla
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:11:42 -0500
Hello Kathy,
I have the additional challenge of having a small group of students each semester who are taking more than one of my TBL classes (sometimes back to back; sometimes on different days).  I tried not to schedule RATs for both classes on the same day to spare the students having two RATs on different material on the same day (and to spare me from having to MAKE two RATs on the same day).

I generally don't do RATs every class (except for my 1 day/ 3 hr a day class class which has them every class but the integrative assignment classes).  On the alternate days, I do topic specific assignments focusing on extending the concepts that were covered in the RATs.

I have also found it useful to include in my course outline a handful of TEACHER LED ACTIVITY days.  I usually schedule them just after an integrative assignment has been completed to give the students a bit of slack time between the integrative assignment and the next RAT.  They also come in handy for times when I've had to cancel a class for some reason or for when I just want to focus on something that hasn't been focused on otherwise.

Karla