From:
"Ross, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ross, Kathy
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:45:03 +0000
In support of Michael's mention of ConcepTests, I suggest checking MERLOT's ELIXR Project that provides digital case story videos about exemplary teaching. One in the set about Active Learning in Large Lectures shows and explains ConcepTests. You can take a look at
http://elixr.merlot.org/case-stories/teaching-strategies/active-learning-in-large-lectures?noCache=866:1280407008 Click on the last case story Using ConcepTests.

While there, also check out the case story on Cooperative Learning Groups on the top of that same page. It can provide an engaging explanation of some of the same ideas that drive Team-Based Learning. I've found the group of videos in the Active Learning Best Practices Guide section there emphasizes why to move from lecture to group and ways to think about good discussion questions. ELIXR is a great resource!

Kathy

Kathy Ross, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Indiana University Kokomo
2300 South Washington KO-083A
P. O. Box 9003
Kokomo, IN 46904-9003