From:
Lion Gardiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:23:30 -0500
Fritz,

I'm not an economist, but I've also observed problems of team efficiency
and what I sometimes consider wasted time. Assuming your instructions
are clear and in not-too-difficult English and the teams can reasonably
be expected to do the exercises based on their current knowledge/skills,
I would wonder how well they had studied outside of class. In my courses
the in-class exercises usually depend on what they have learned outside
of class.

Our students often come to us with motivational issues for a variety of
reasons, little knowledge of or experience with effective study methods,
and an expectation of doing little or no work outside of class until
just before an assessment (surface learning). I have found that those
with limited knowledge take a long time to complete RATs and exercises.
I think your reference to "remedial" students may be germane here. From
my experience less well prepared students are more passive, expect to be
spoon fed information, and are less skilled and require more structure.

Ordinarily, I explain my exercises orally and give them to my students
in very carefully couched language written out on handouts they get as
individuals and/or teams, depending on the situation. This has almost
stopped questions about what they are "supposed to do." For some
exercises, to help them structure their thinking and responses so they
can be posted effectively simultaneously on the chalkboard, the
instructions are on the top of a page with a form at the bottom that
they fill in giving the line location in a text problem they've been
given and a place for their reasoning/justification for their team's
points of view. This also helps me read the team product and improve my
understanding (and sanity).

I'd be interested in hearing others' points of view on this, which I
consider an important issue.

Lion Gardiner

Lion F. Gardiner, Ph.D.
Department of Biological Sciences      "We can't solve problems by using
134 Boyden Hall                                the same kind of thinking we used
Rutgers University                               when we created them."
Newark, New Jersey 07102-1811
(973) 353-5450 (voice), -5518 (fax)        Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Department office: -5347 (voice)