From:
Marjorie Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marjorie Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:40:53 -0500
Appeals are a selling point for me. The nursing students are competitive and
all want A's. They are used to arguing about quiz and exam items, taking up a
lot of class time and putting the professor on the spot.. The appeals process
defuses the arguing process. I do spend a lot of time on a day after class
reading everything and updating the spreadsheets with the grades, but it's
time well spent. The appeals process improves my communication with the
students. I send messages to each group about why I granted  or didn't grant
their appeals.

Marjorie Baier
SIUE School of Nursing