From:
"Sibley, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, Jim
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:16:31 -0700
Hi Everyone

In our TBL courses (typical n=120 to 140, 20-28 teams) we have quite a
few of 1 instructor and no TA's events, and 1 instructor and 1 TA events
(TA helps with handling of team folders, etc.)

Someone from my Centre will attend classes at instructors request to
scan forms....but about half the instructor just pick up the scanner
(http://www.appersonedu.com/ADVabout.asp) and do it themselves. So a TA
may be helpful, but perhaps not essential for the RAP process

In the Application Activities, I think some TA's might be uncomfortable
circulating around the room, listening, and interacting with student
teams as an expert. We hire many of our TA's for specific marking
abilities (mathCAD, Excel, Rivet Structures software) and not specific
content expertise....and many instructors don't want to pay for TA hours
to attend class....rather spend the money on marking.

So a TA's may be nice...but not essential, in my opinion.

My two cents

Cheers

Jim

Jim Sibley
Director
Centre for Instructional Support
Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia
2208-6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4
Phone 604.822.9241
Fax 604.822.7006

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.learning.apsc.ubc.ca
Blog: Adventures in Instructional Support:
http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wordpress/
e-Portfolio:
http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wiki/index.php/Jim_Sibley_Portfolio
(c) Copyright 2008, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information
contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively
"message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the
recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution,
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail,
and delete the original message.