From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:53:53 -0500
Hi Nancy,
I haven't worked with such large TBL groups...but other small groups, and I've found that small groups of 10 aren't really "small groups" but small "classes". I think that with groups of 10 what might happen is that you're going to get subgroups. And quiet students could easily get left out of the discussion.

One of the fundamental principles of TBL is that every decision you make should lead towards enhancing the cohesion of the team. Given that principle, you have to ask yourself the question, is the disruption caused by reforming groups worth the advantage of creating groups with optimal sizes?

What I would be tempted to do if I were you is to take your groups of 10 and split them in half (two groups of 5) and then take two groups of 9--combine them,  and then divide them into three groups of 6. That strategy would keep students together to some degree but put them into manageble teams that are more cohesive over the course of a term.

Part of my decision would also rest on how long your teams will be together. If it is for a short period of time ( a matter of few days or weeks) it would probably not be worth the disruption. But if you plan on keeping them together for months or a semester, then save yourself the grief and put them in the size groups that really have the best chance of becoming high functioning cohesive teams.

Thats my opinion for what its worth!

Ruth
UTMB-Galveston