From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:16:50 -0600
Dee,

Mike's data is very much like mine scores before I started using the
IFAT answer sheets with the team test.  Since then the difference
between the highest member and the team has nearly doubled.

Larry

>>> Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]> - 1/20/04 4:12 PM >>>
Members of the TBL list:

Michael Raiber is a professor of conducting in the School of Music here
at
Oklahoma.  Last fall he sent me some data on the difference between
team
scores and the average member score on an early RAT (see below).

Question:  Is this similar to what the rest of you experience with you
give
RATs?

Another interesting question is how the team score compares to the
best
member of the group.  Usually the difference is not that large early in
the
term.  But as the teams become more cohesive, the teams go further in
outscoring even the best individual scores.
         Is this what you are experiencing, or not?

Dee Fink

>Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:26:35 -0500
>From: Michael Raiber <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FYI
>To: Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Dee-
>
>I gave a practice RAT in my conducting course today and got some very
>interesting results I thought you might be interested in knowing.
The
>following are the percentage increases of the team scores over the
average
>individual scores of each team:
>
>1 - +20%
>2 - +15%
>3 - +25%
>4 - +56%
>5 - +50%
>6 - +20%
>7 - +40%
>8 - +5%
>
>Average gain in scores: 28.8%
>
>There are obviously a number of reasons for this, but any time we find
an
>instructional design that can show this level of gains in student
outcomes,
>it is powerful.
>
>Just thought you would like the data.
>
>Mike
>--
>Michael A. Raiber, Ph.D.
>Assistant Professor
>Music Education
>The University of Oklahoma
>Catlett Music Center
>500 W. Boyd
>Norman, OK  72069
>(405)325-3323

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
L. Dee Fink, Director                   Phone: 405-325-2323
Instructional Development Program       Email:  [log in to unmask]
Hester Hall, Room 203           FAX:    405-325-7402
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK  73019                       IDP Website: www.ou.edu/idp

President-Elect of the POD Network [Professional and Organizational
Development] in Higher Education
Author of:  Creating Significant Learning Experiences (Jossey-Bass,
2003)
Dee Fink's Website:  www.ou.edu/idp/dfink.htm