From:
Francine Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 06:26:28 -0400
Hi everyone,

I need some of your collective wisdom...  This semester I have a student
who delivered a baby in March, and missed (by mutual agreement) three
weeks (one of which was spring break) as a result.   Although I urged
her from day 1 to come see me so we could work out a plan, she never did
- instead she repeatedly made appointments and didn't come to them.

In addition to the three negotiated weeks of absence, this student has
been absent an additional several (five or six) weeks of class, and has
in essence been an absentee team member.

I'm anticipating that she will expect to be "excused" from all
activities for which she was absent, many of which are team activities
that cannot be made up.

How do I grade her so that I am fair to all the other students, too?  Do
I give her zeroes for the major team activities that she was AWOL for,
and count them toward her grade?  Do I drop out those activities and not
include them in her grade calculation?  Do I give her an incomplete and
an independent project that will include the material she missed?

Looking forward to your advice, with thanks,
Fran

--
Francine S. Glazer, Ph.D.
Professor, Biological Sciences