From:
Dean Parmelee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dean Parmelee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:55:54 -0400
Dean Dianne, thank you for sharing this story.  Thankfully, there are not too many students out there with this kind of severe personality disorder.  Speaking as a psychiatrist,  some tips: (1) there is no treatment that works, so forget referring for counseling; (2) letting her know this last time that she will be by herself is good, get a zero if she can't behave; (3) firm and unequivocal limits/consequences is essential; she may make you feel sorry for her, which would be part of her manipulations - have no pity, as cruel as this sounds.  We too had one student like this in 9 years, and she will never be a practicing doctor.  The TBL helped us identify her early.

Dean

Sent from my iPad