From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:08:25 -0400
Thanks for all this.  I'm not trying to over-engineer my teams but to assess empirically what factors might actually make a difference in group performance.  The two key factors I use to make teams are grades and majors, trying to get diversity for each team.  I consider other things like in-state versus out-of-state students, gender, and class level.

My thoughts on this were actually spurred by the following, which appeared in the Wall Street Journal earlier this week:

Organizational Behavior
Smart Groups & Women

Just because a group is full of intelligent individuals does not mean the group as a whole will necessarily be smart. But having more women does, according to a new study.

The researchers found that a group's collective intelligence is affected not by individual intelligence but by social sensitivity and the ability to make inferences-skills women are more likely to possess than men.

The study observed groups' intelligence over multiple tasks, such as completing puzzles or problem solving exercises, in order to come up with an overall measure to predict the groups' performance on new, novel tasks.

Adding smart people did not raise the group intelligence measure, nor did throwing dominating personalities into the mix. (In fact, loud-mouthed, strong-willed additions tended to set the group back.) Social sensitivity was the key to better performance.

The good news for employers: It's easier to make a group more intelligent than it is to make individual employees smarter.

"Evidence for a Collective Intelligence Factor in the Performance of Human Groups," Anita Williams Woolley, Christopher F. Chabris, Alexander Pentland, Nada Hashmi and Thomas W. Malone. Science (forthcoming)

Molly Espey, Professor
Applied Economics and Statistics
263 Barre Hall
Clemson University