From:
Brent MacLaine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent MacLaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:03:42 -0300
I agree with Michael about delaying the appeal to avoid bickering.
However, if the team's case for "confusing wording"  is sound, then I
would certainly grant the appeal.  After all, that would be a matter of
test fairness.  Providing that the team is not simply "scrounging" for
marks, more often than not I allow such appeals on the principle that
clear, unambiguous test language is a tough target to hit -- even for
experienced test writers.

Regards,
Brent MacLaine

Brent MacLaine, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of English
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown  PE  Canada
C1A  4P3
Office: 902-566-0955
Fax: 902-566-0363
>>> "Jacobson, Trudi E" <[log in to unmask]> 03/11/2010 2:13
PM >>>
I wonder if I can get the benefit of your advice about appeals.  I
don't have them very often, but did today. The team's reason for
appealing had no merit (and was based on confusing wording, rather than
factual error, so there is no evidence the students went back to the
readings to follow up). My inclination in a case like this is not to
award any points just for appealing, but I do know that others think a
bit of credit is due for undertaking the appeal.  I would be most
interested in knowing how others think.  Is there a benefit to awarding
a few points?

Thank you!

Trudi

Trudi E. Jacobson