From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2022 14:43:38 -0500
Beyond what others said, I've got several other suggestions regarding
getting student buy-in.

  - Have you tried the 1st day grade weighting exercise where newly formed
    groups determine grade weights for the course? This can help get
    student buy-in.

  - Maybe some students in your evaluations reported that they found RAPS
    useful. Perhaps share these anonymously with the class early on?

  - You might want to read "First-Day Questions for the Learner-Centered
    Classroom" by Gary A. Smith,
    https://d32ogoqmya1dw8.cloudfront.net/files/introgeo/firstday/first_day_questions_learner-ce.pdf
    Briefly, you poll the class with this question: "Thinking of what you
    want to get out of your college education and this course, which of
    the following is most important to you?
      1. Acquiring information (facts, principles, concepts)
      2. Learning how to use information and knowledge in new situations
      3. Developing lifelong learning skills.”
    Smith reports most offer #2 or #3. Then, you offer
      "All three of these goals are clearly important. However, let’s
      think for a moment of how best to accomplish these goals.  Learning
      is not a spectator sport—it takes work; that includes work in the
      classroom and work that you do outside of the classroom. So, of
      these three goals, which do you think you can make headway on
      outside of class by your own reading and studying, and which do you
      think would be best achieved in class working with your classmates
      and me?"
    More is in the article, but this gives the idea.

In short, to get student buy-in, don't talk to students but instead
somehow use their voices and input.

    - Bill

Herbert said:

> So I just responded to my student evals from the fall.  As usual, the more
> vocal students railed against the RAP.  Even though we spent two weeks
> going over the syllabus and I explained the rationale for both the RAP and
> formative assessment, they still questioned the testing before lecturing
> (btw I do provide a brief study guide with instructions like "be able to
> tell the difference between...").
>
> I explain the rationale to the powers that be and the students even parrot
> that I don't lecture over what they already know.  In the spirit of
> academic freedom, I feel I have cover.
>
> I was thinking the other day about another idea.  So first let me say that
> my IRQ/TRQ's (i label them quizzes to try to reduce the tension) are prolly
> too long.  I have reduced some to 20 items but 25-30 is my norm.  I'm
> totally convinced 30 is too long because they barely finish in a
> single class period.
>
> For some reason, during the last RAP, I flashed on the idea of a mini RAP.
> What if the IRQ/TRQ was only 5 questions? the individual would take less
> than 10 min.  The team would take less than 30 min. including appeals.  I
> could review and even do a mini Application Exercise within the class
> period.  This might be one way to go in deep on a particular topic.  Has
> anyone tried something similar?  I have when I did workshops for faculty on
> TBL but I haven't with a regular class.   Any thoughts?
>
> --
>
> Herb Coleman, Ph.D
> Adjunct Professor of Psychology and Student Development
> *RETIRED-*-Dir. Campus Technology Services
> Austin Community College
> (512) 223-1790 ext. 22162
> ************************************************************************************************************
>
> “Keep working, keep striving, never give up.  Fall down 7 times get up 8.
> Without commitment, you’ll never start. But more importantly, without
> consistency, you’ll never finish.
> Ease is a greater threat to progress than hardship.  So, keep moving, keep
> growing, keep learning.
> See you at work.
>
> *”― Denzel Washington,*

Bill Goffe