From:
"Davidson, Lindsay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Davidson, Lindsay
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:33:19 -0500
I've gone through several iterations:

1. Tried less handouts per table than students and got lots of flak
2. Make handouts for each student with some (not all) case material and some of the questions and allow them to keep after class. A lot of work and paper. Filled in gaps with info released by ppt in class. Left out key questions that would "give away" where case was going.
3. Now release cases (again, edited down) and framing questions for students to review before class. This is to focus individual study and allow them to read around material focused on case. When in class, give team 10 minutes to discuss their individual responses to questions and then give them a culiminating question (that they have not seen before) that builds on pre questions and requires a common decision. Here is an example of 3 cases recently used. https://meds.queensu.ca/courses/community/upperlimbpain
Now I don't print anything but suggest they may want to bring along laptop or print cases in advance.

Lindsay Davidson M.D., M.Sc., M.Ed., FRCSC
Associate Professor, Pediatric Orthopaedics
Phase III Director and Phase IIA MSK Unit Chair
Queen's University, Kingston, Ont
(613)544-9626 *** NEW Fax (866)-545-1519****

http://www.adventuresinteaching.ca
http://www.learningwithcases.com