From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:15:21 -0400
I understand this point very well, but I wonder if it is in some sense a
good idea. Before starting TBL in one of my class classes (40 students in
an undergrad economics course called "Money & Banking"). I read Ken Bain's
"What the Best College Teachers Do" and was quite taken with it and
implemented much of it in a 300-student intro economics course. He makes
the point that the best instructors are able to engage their students in
such a way that they're intrinsically motivated (as opposed to extrinsic
motivation as described below). Some of a summary of his work and some
implementation of it can be found in my paper
http://cook.rfe.org/Bain_study.pdf . But, as you'll see, I didn't seem to
get increased learning. I have yet to try run the data from Spring 2008.
It seem, and this isn't so surprising, intrinsically motivating students
is really hard.

      - Bill

Bob said:

>    I have found that, if there is not some type of reward for their work they
>    stop taking it seriously.
>
>    I hope this helps.
>
>    Bob
>
>    Robert J. Philpot Jr., PhD, PA-C
>    Interim Dean of Academic Affairs
>    Chairman, Department of PA Studies
>    Director and Associate Professor
>    Physician Assistant Program
>    South University, Savannah, GA
>
>    912-704-5717 mobile
>
>    "The old begin to complain of the conduct of the young when they
>    themselves are no longer able to set a bad example."
>    Francois de La Rochefoucauld

         | Bill Goffe                 [log in to unmask]          |
         | Department of Economics    voice: (315) 312-3444     |
         | SUNY Oswego                fax:   (315) 312-5444     |
         | 416 Mahar Hall             http://cook.rfe.org       |
         | Oswego, NY  13126                                    |
| "From the standpoint of how Washington works and the relations between    |
| journalists and sources, it's been incredibly revealing and incredibly    |
| uncomfortable for a lot of people."                                       |
|  -- E. Lawrence Barcella Jr., a Washington lawyer, on the Scotter Libby   |
|     trial. "Prosecution by Logic Defeats a Defense in Shades of Gray,"    |
|     Scott Shane, New York Times, March 7, 2007.                           |