From:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2013 09:36:27 +0800
Here in Singapore we have a very multicultural student body.  Many of them do not have English as their primary language and may have decent reading skills - their language skills are weaker.  While we have not formally assessed this - we have found that our students report that the TBL process is a bit like an emersion experience - they are forced to be able to explain themselves, their understanding of things, both within the team as well as to the entire class/faculty.   This builds up their language skills quite well.  We had one year where we did not pay attention to country of origin - and had a team that was 6 members from another country and one from Singapore.  When the team got excited - they all shifted into their home language - leaving the other student out - as well as not benefiting from the use of language.  While they explained it was easier for them to explain their ideas among themselves - they didn't benefit as much.

I also know a Korean Colleague has been using TBL to help teach English to her students.  And she has found it very useful.

Sandy

Sandy COOK, PhD | Senior Associate Dean, Curriculum Development |
Medical Education, Research, and Evaluation (MERE) |
W: (65) 6516 8722| F: (65) 6227 2698 |

Administrative Executive: Belinda Yeo | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 6516-8511