From:
Elise Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elise Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:20:06 -0400
For the next RAT, I am considering inviting students to arrive early to start the individual RAT, and then put a deadline for completing the individual RAT. Those who know by now that they want more time can come early (all of them are free 30 minutes before the class). That may resolve the range of time it takes students individually.  I am not sure about how to effectively address this time difference for teams.

Sophie - this is the approach I use with an undergraduate freshman psychology course in which I am using TBL and RAT.  I have a few students who work much more slowly, yet no less effectively (in terms of grades), on tests, and so I arrive in the classroom 20 min early on RAT days to accommodate their time needs.  There doesn't seem to be as much of a discrepancy in amount of time spent taking the team RAT, most likely due to the combination of learning styles and degrees of preparedness and understanding within each team.  My section runs 75 minutes; we have time to complete the IRAT, the team RAT, take a five minute break (which the slowest teams don't have the opportunity to take advantage of), and then review the questions that were most troublesome, all within that 75 minute period.

Elise Martin
Assistant Dean of Assessment/Adjunct Faculty
Middlesex Community College
591 Springs Rd.
Bedford, MA  01730
(781)280-3572

"If in life you trip, make it part of the dance"