From:
Don McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:38:34 -0800
Dear Lindsay

My experience is that, as educational innovators, we often have to
teach our students what good education looks like. We have to explain
that good education involves practices that maximize student learning,
and that although lectures are good for some things (What's the Use of
Lectures is a great book on this topic, by the way), other educational
processes produce more learning. Team based learning is one of the most
tested and sound educational strategies out there. We need to educate
our students (and often our colleagues on tenure and promotion
committees) to recognize good teaching and good learning activities
when they see them. I'm still learning how to do this.

- Don
-------
Don McCormick, Ph.D, Associate Professor
University of Redlands School of Business
1200 E. Colton Avenue, Redlands, CA 92373-0999
http://newton.uor.edu/FacultyFolder/DMcCormick

"The end of all education should surely be service to others." -
Cesar E. Chavez