From:
"Sibley, James Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, James Edward
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 14:24:10 +0000
Hi Ken

This is often the problem with product based out of class assignments.

If you are an A student and I am a C student....why not sit back and let you get me an A.

We can add peer evaluation to the mix...but it usually doesn't have enough teeth to make sure the freeloader gets a fair..low grade

In the cooperative/ collaborative world this kind of team dysfunction is all too common.

The issue is often with assignments that focus on product generation and not decision making. Groups are often not very good at building large products but can make difficult decisions together (think of the work of a courtroom jury in a difficult case)

Maybe you could consider bring the assignment into class and changing focus to decision making/discrimination.

###################

You could probably use something like Sophie Sparrow and Margaret Sova McCabe showed at the great workshop at the TBL conference in Austin

It would look like this

students individually prepare 6-8 key topics

they bring 2 copies to class

you collect one (this is only cursorily marked....just check mark....you tried)

then you do an in class activity where teams distill all their individual work into a group compilation...maybe even with some focusing....top 4 topics and why

you collect the team compilation and mark it more carefully and add it to the cursory participation mark from having submitted individual

You want to have class activities that build/incorporate their out of class work (the out of class work is most often individual)

For a short explanation of problem solving in TBL...you can visit my website at

http://learntbl.ca/what-is-tbl/structured-problem-solving/

take care

jim