From:
Patty-Jeanne Slaughter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patty-Jeanne Slaughter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 09:31:46 -0400
Jennifer and Sandy - I think your comments "hit the mark!"  I have had similar, mixed reactions from students.  Most, while skeptical at first, love TBL at the end of the semester.  I  have found that those who dislike TBL are students who want to be spoon fed and dislike the idea of being responsible for their own learning.  (On Senior Exit Surveys several students have commented that they like the professors who "tell them what they need to learn" and who "don't teach them anything they don't need to know."-  these types of students will probably never be TBL fans :D).

I "frontload" a lot of information on the first and second days of class about the TBL process and have each group develop Team Contracts where they establish the "ground rules" and expectations for team behavior.  In the end, there will probably always be a small percentage of students who don't embrace TBL - no matter what we do.

- Patty

Patty-Jeanne Slaughter, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Behavioral Sciences

316 Boulevard,
Anderson, SC, 29621
Phone: 864-231-2166

[log in to unmask]<https://aumail.andersonuniversity.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>