From:
"Bruff, Derek O" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruff, Derek O
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:44:44 -0500
Hi Larry,

Thanks for clarifying the key principle at play here.  As someone with lots of clickers experience but very little TBL experience, I'll focus on the role that clickers play in relation to that principle of having teams accountable to each other.

You're correct in saying that the display of the frequency graph doesn't provide the accountability you're interested in creating.  However, that's not the main role I see for the graph.  I'll show the graph if I think that it will encourage students to contribute to the classwide discussion that follows the clicker question.  So, for instance, if two or three answer choices are popular, students will see that the question is a tough one, worth digging into, which encourages participation.

If I don't think the graph will encourage participation, I won't show it.  I worry that students won't want to speak up and represent minority opinions (because, as you note, it takes a lot of courage to do so), so if there's one response that's far more popular than the others, I won't show the graph.  That way, students who have minority opinions won't *know* they have minority opinions and thus be more willing to speak up and represent them.

More generally, the display of results of a clicker question isn't the *end* of an activity, it's the midpoint.  The graph can help frame and enhance the classwide discussion that follows.  And it's during that classwide discussion that the accountability is created.

Best,
Derek

--
Derek Bruff, Ph.D.