From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:42:23 -0500
I use the method of total points to allocate to teammates is 10*# of teammates (not counting self) and you can't give everyone the same score.  I do occasionally have students/teams protest, but I have them also include comments about the contribution of each member of the team and tell that that if everyone truly contributed equally, it usually works out that everyone will average pretty close to 10.  I say just make them do it and emphasize the value of the comments.

I also state explicitly in my syllabus that I weight the teamwork portion of the grade by both the peer evaluation (quantitative) and my own assessment (qualitative), leaving me the leeway to address this and other sorts of quirky peer evaluation issues (e.g. just one student marking someone else significantly lower because of a personality issue).

Molly Espey, Professor
Applied Economics and Statistics
263 Barre Hall
Clemson University